Wednesday, March 16, 2011

AT AGE 26: Full Blooded Korean



This is one of the more difficult strips I've done. But it was an important topic to me because it was brought up to me more than once by these relatives that I mentioned who feel like it's their duty to make me feel guilty for enjoying a manga. Along with that, the timing was really weird as I was getting ready to post this, especially with what's been happened in Japan with the earthquake/tsunami/nuclear reactor crises, and when I'm hearing all this rubbish about all that being karma for Japan's role in WWII. Idiots. I swear....

Anyways, I digress....

This will be the last "Definitely..." for a while as I am currently working on a new full length comic called "This Will Pass", which I hope to complete in time for free distribution at Stumptown. "Definitely Far From Korea..." will resume in April. And by May, I am hoping to have a printed collection ready for sale. Details on that hopefully soon. In the meantime, I hope you will find this week's strip not too much of a downer, but at least somewhat thought provoking.

See you in April.

5 comments:

  1. This is a particularly great comic, Eric.

    Do you know about the aftermath of the great Kanto earthquake in Japan, in the 20's? I was just looking at what some of the other earthquakes there have been like, and a Japanese friend shared that there was a huge persecution against ethnic Koreans living in Japan after the Kanto earthquake in 1923. Rumors started spreading that the Koreans were poisoning wells or looting, or even that they had somehow caused the earthquakes. By the end of it, something like 7000 Koreans and Chinese living in Japan had been murdered. Here's info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1923_Great_Kant%C5%8D_earthquake#Post-quake_massacre_of_ethnic_minorities

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great comic, Eric.

    Another point which you touch on but didn't make explicit: The Japanese who committed atrocities in wartime are either very, very old or dead. Holding people responsible for things their ancestors did before they were born is seriously f*cked up.

    Where does that end? Should I have a problem with the Germans I know because 70 years ago our families were trying to kill each other? Should I hold a grudge against Denmark for Vikings raping and pillaging their way across England a thousand years ago? Against the Italians for the Roman conquest of Britain a thousand years before that? Individual people are responsible for the events in which they participate, and that's all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, sir. As an American descended from Germans, I know that governments can be capable of both very good and very bad deeds. I feel you really can't be responsible for more than your own actions so quarreling with one another over the deeds of your ancestors isn't productive. Think of all the cultures that have been warring with one another for centuries over a slight that no one remembers anymore. Enjoy what you enjoy, man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I already told yer face this, but I'm gonna tell yer face again because it's true - best comic of yours yet.

    ReplyDelete